The Stolen White Elephant - Long Review -

"Height, 19 feet; length from forehead to tail, 26 feet; length of trunk, 16 feet; length of trail, 6 feet; total length, including trunk and tail, 48 feet; length of tusks, 9 feet footprint resembles the mark left when one puts a barrel in the snow; the colour of the elephant, a dull white; has a hole the size of a plate in each ear for the insertion of jewellery, and has the habit of squirtihng water at spectators and of maltreating piople with his trunk; limps slightly with his right hind leg, and has a small mark in his left  armpit; wearing, when stolen, a castle with seats for fifteen people, and a gold blanket the size of a carpet."


One day, a white elephant was stolen. The maincharactor asked detectives and tries to find the elephant very hard. Where is the white elephant?? Can the man find him??

This book is misterious and a little sad. I have a doubt about the story. It is why the elephant was killed and who did it. So, I thought we could read more clearly and enjoy this book more if the answers wrote. But you can read the book with guessing where the white elephant is. It is cool that the detective who the main character hired tries to find the elephant very hard. Let' read this book!

 We used this book in the Literature Circle. I'll show you my friends comments.
Misaki
"White elephant means a thing that is useless and no longer needed, although it have may cost a lot of money. I was wondering about why the chief or the detectives won praise. Because the white elephant was dead and it found at basement of detectives. Did they find and hide the white elephant and also kill it?  I searched a lot about this book and read some interpretation, but I couldn't understand this story well. However, I was happy alittle because I could know white elephant means. If I didn't read this book, I couldn't that meaning ever after."

Miyu
"In this story, a white elephant is carried as a gift to the queen. Along the way, the elephant is stolen by someone. To find the thief and the elephant, they use many things, including detectives and newspapers. They spend a lot of money and desperately try to find the elephant, but they can't. Eventually the elephant is found underground, but it is already dead and its body is tattered.I can't give it to him as a gift.It's a very sad story. In the first place, I am against giving animals as gifts.Life is not a gift."

Ayane
"This book says 'white elephant' means unwanted gift. Knowing this meaning, I felt the structure more clearly. Also, it is said comedy, but I could not say it was comedy. I will read again to analyze into the story."

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

Lesson 3

THE CARIBBEAN FILE

Lesson 5